- Baileys Crossroad Center (Merica House), a homeless shelter for families operated by Volunteers of America. A $1,000 Rotary Club grant will help residents obtain the necessary training and documentation required to find employment.
- Good Spoon ($1,000), a non-profit based in Annandale provides assistance, including employment and medical referrals, to people of different cultures looking to become established citizens.
- Senior Employment Services ($1,000), an Annandale-based employment counseling, job referral, and skills training service for Northern Virginia seniors. One of the founders of SER was former Rotary Club member Jerry Keiffer.
- Wesley Housing Development Corp. A $1,000 grant will to help children who live in Strawbridge Square, a housing development in Lincolnia for lower-income families, attend a summer day camp in a safe and structured environment.
- The Jewish Community Center of Northern Virginia. A $500 grant to support the Facets program, which provides emergency shelter to homeless people to prevent hypothermia.
Friday, June 3, 2011
Annandale Rotary Club aids local nonprofits
The Annandale Rotary Club presented $4,000 in community service grants to five local organizations June 1 to help them continue their good work: