If you haven’t been to a Spotlight by Starlight concert at Annandale’s Mason District Park this summer, you’re missing out on a great opportunity for free, convenient entertainment.
The shows take place in the park's amphitheater every Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday at 7:30 p.m., and child-friendly shows are 10 a.m. Saturdays. You have a couple of weeks to catch a show, as the series ends Aug. 31.
On Friday night, Orquestra Tropikiimba presented a lively blend of Afro-Caribbean rhythms, inciting several audience members to dance. The Richmond-based group plays Salsa, Timba, Songo, Bolero, Danzon, Cha Cha Cha, Charanga, Rumba, Bachata, Merengue, Vallenato, Calypso, Soca, Zouk, Hi-Life, Soukous (Afro-Pop), and Kalinda.
Here’s the Spotlight by Starlight schedule for the rest of the summer:
• Aug. 14, 7:30 p.m.—Cartoon Johnny (a cappella)
• Aug. 17, 7:30 p.m.—The Joe Rathbone Band (indie rock)
• Aug. 19, 7:30 p.m.—The Atomic Swing Club (swing)
• Aug. 20, 10:30 a.m.—DinoRock (puppets)
• Aug. 21, 7:30 p.m.—The United States Army Band’s Blues Jazz Ensemble
• Aug. 24, 7:30 p.m.—Ted Garber (blues, Americana, rock)
• Aug. 26, 7:30 p.m.—The Aloha Boys (Hawaiian folk music and dance)
• Aug. 27—No performances
• Aug. 28, 7:30 p.m.—Melodime (country/rock)
• Aug. 31, 7:30 p.m.—Le Hotclub de Biglick (30s Gypsy jazz).
|The amphitheater at Mason District Park|
There’s only three more this summer:
• Aug. 14— Korean Cultural Heritage Night.
• Aug. 21—Russian Cultural Heritage Night.
• Aug. 28—Vietnamese Cultural Heritage Night.