The first wave of 6,000 Department of Defense workers will move into the Mark Center this week, and Gov. Bob McDonnell’s response is the establishment of a task force and traffic management plan for I-395, he announced Aug. 8.
The task force will:
• Monitor traffic flow and quickly adjust surrounding traffic signals to changing traffic conditions.
• Develop a high-tech “integrated corridor management plan” to improve traffic flow.
• Implement a regional transit coordination group to provide increased transit service to the Mark Center.
• Coordinate all roadway projects in the I-95/I-395 corridor to help manage delays and congestion during construction.
• Create a comprehensive public outreach plan to provide advanced notice of construction-caused road delays.
Construction of a new high-occupancy ramp connecting I-395 with Seminary Road at the Mark Center could begin in 2012 at the earliest.