Primaries are usually held in June, but have been delayed this year because of redistricting. The Virginia Senate, House of Delegates, and Fairfax County magisterial districts have all be redrawn.
The primaries with the most impact on Annandale are the Republican primary for the 37th Senate District, which pits Steve Hunt against Jason Flanary, and the Democratic primary for supervisor of the Braddock District of Fairfax County, where Chris Wade and Janet Oleszek are running.
The Virginia State Board of Elections mailed new voter cards to registered voters earlier this month identifying voters’ congressional, state Senate, House of Delegates, and Fairfax County supervisory districts. If you’re still confused, you can look up your districts online.
You don’t have to be a member of a political party to vote in that party’s primary. Any registered voter in Virginia can in either party’s primary, but not both.
Here are the candidates running in Fairfax County in the Aug. 23 primaries.
House of Delegates, 49th District (includes parts of parts of Bailey’s Crossroads and Seven Corners that are in the Mason District, as well as parts of Arlington):
- Stephanie Clifford – Political activist and event planner; endorsed by Del. Kaye Kory, LGBT Democrats of Virginia, Women’s Campaign Forum.
- Alfonso Lopez – Political activist who worked in the Obama and Kaine administrations; endorsed by the Washington Post, former Gov. Tim Kaine, the Sierra Club.
The current delegate representing the 49th District, Adam Ebbin (D), has vacated the seat to run for the state Senate.
State Senate, 30th District (parts of the city of Alexandria, Arlington, and a small area of Fairfax County that includes the Mark Center):
- Adam Ebbin – Member of the House of Delegates; endorsed by the Virginia League of Conservation Voters, Virginia National Organization for Women.
- Libby Garvey – Member of the Arlington School Board; endorsed by the Women’s Campaign Forum.
- K. Rob Krupicka – Member of the Alexandria City Council; endorsed by the Washington Post.
This seat is open due to the retirement of Sen. Patsy Ticer (D).
State Senate, 31st District (the city of Falls Church and parts of Fairfax County, Arlington, and Loudoun County)
- Jaime Areizaga-Soto – Member of the Army National Guard’s Judge Advocate General Corps and an Obama Administration appointee; endorsed by the NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia PAC.
- Barbara Favola – Member of the Arlington County Board; endorsed by the Washington Post; State Sen. Dick Saslaw; Board of Supervisors Chair Sharon Bulova.
This seat is open due to the retirement of Sen. Mary Margaret Whipple (D).
Board of Supervisors, Braddock District:
- Janet Oleszek – Former member of the Fairfax County School Board; endorsed by Del. Kaye Kory, several school board members including Sandy Evans, and Sen. Chap Peterson.
- Christopher Wade – Financial manager and member of the board of the Fairfax County Chamber of Commerce; endorsed by Board of Supervisors Chair Sharon Bulova, supervisor Penny Gross, state Sen. Dave Marsden, and Del. Vivian Watts. Wade has taken some heat for being a newcomer to the Democratic Party and having supported the McCain-Palin ticket in 2008.
The winner of the primary will challenge the incumbent supervisor John Cook (R) in November.
State Senate, 36th District (parts of the Springfield and Mount Vernon areas of Fairfax County and eastern Prince William County):
- Jeffrey Frederick – Former member of the House of Delegates; endorsed by the Tea Party Express, Prince William County Chair Corey Stewart, and the National Rifle Association.
- Tito Munoz (“Tito the Builder”) – Owner of a small construction company; endorsed by Supervisor Pat Herrity.
The winner will run against incumbent Toddy Puller (D) in the general election.
State Senate, 37th District (parts of Annandale, Burke, Centreville, and Chantilly):
- Jason Flanary – Business executive; endorsed by Del. Tim Hugo.
- Steve Hunt – Former school board member; endorsed by former Lt. Gov. John Hager and former Del. Dick Black.
The winner of the primary will run against incumbent Sen. Dave Marsden (D) in the general election.
State Senate, 39th District (parts of Prince William and Fairfax counties, including Franconia and Cliften):
- Miller Baker – Constitutional lawyer; endorsed by the conservative blog Bearing Drift and Del. Tim Hugo.
- Scott Martin – Administrator at George Mason University; endorsed by Del. Dave Albo and Prince William County chair Corey Stewart.
The winner will go up against Sen. Vivian Watts (D).
Fairfax County Sheriff: