main banner

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Child causes accidental townhouse fire

A child playing with a lighter caused a fire at a townhouse at 4809 Backlick Road, Annandale, Jan. 2 that caused an estimated $155,000 in damages, the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department reports. There were no injuries. Four adults and three children were displaced.

When firefighters arrived at the house at approximately 6:40 p.m., they saw smoke and fire coming from two basement windows on the ground level of the three-story townhouse, the department states. The fire quickly spread to the upper stories. The fire was brought under control in about 10 minutes. Most of the damage was confined to the basement and first floor.

Fire and Rescue conducts a Juvenile Fire Setters Program, focusing on fire and its consequences, for children and youth age 3-17 who have been referred by court officials, school counselors, fire fighters, or parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment