main banner

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Carbon monoxide sickens three Bailey's Crossroads residents

A CO detector.
Three people got carbon monoxide poisoning from a faulty furnace at the Barcroft Plaza Apartments in Bailey’s Crossroads July 24, the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department reported. 

One woman and one man were transported to Inova Fairfax Hospital, and another man was transported to Arlington Hospital, all for life-threatening injuries.

When firefighters arrived at the scene at 3653 Malibu Circle at approximately 2:30 a.m., they discovered high levels of carbon monoxide in the apartment. The 11-unit, three-story building was immediately evacuated. Occupants were able to re-enter their apartments four hours later, after firefighters ventilated the structure.

Carbon monoxide is odorless, colorless, and tasteless. The best way to prevent CO poisoning is to install CO alarms. The Fairfax County Fire Department recommends these safety tips:

  • Install carbon monoxide (CO) alarms in a central location outside each sleeping area on every level of a home. The alarms should be connected, so all of the alarms go off if one detects elevated levels of CO.
  • Choose a CO alarm that has the label of a recognized testing laboratory.
  • Test CO alarms at least once a month.
  • If the audible trouble signal sounds, check for low batteries and replace them if needed. If the alarm still sounds, immediately get all occupants to move to a fresh-air location outdoors or by an open window or door, then call the fire department.
  • Do not run a vehicle or motor indoors, even if the garage doors are open. Make sure the exhaust pipe of a running vehicle is not covered with snow.
  • During and after a snowstorm, make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove, and fireplace are clear of snow build-up.
  • Only use generators, gas grills, or charcoal grills outdoors and away from windows, doors, and vent openings.

2 comments:

  1. I am pretty uninterested in what goes on at Baileys Crossroads, frankly. I like the idea of expanded coverage, but would prefer Falls Church rather than BC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this was a very good and informative warning post. Your commentary is rude and quite disturbing. Baileys Crossroads falls within the limits of Falls Church and Annandale and is part of our community, like it or not.

    Perhaps you should disconnect your carbon monoxide detector if you are not interested in public safety announcements and spare us from your obnoxious epithets.

    ReplyDelete