main banner

Monday, September 30, 2013

Annandale house fire caused by unattended candle

A fire at a home at 7300 Franklin Road in Annandale Sept. 29 was caused by an unattended candle, the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department reports.

Firefighters encountered smoke and fire coming from the front and side of the one-story rambler in Broyhill Crest when they arrived at about 12:50 p.m. It took them approximately 10 minutes to bring the fire under control. Three occupants had already left the house before firefighters arrived. Two adults were transported by ground to MedStar for observation. Red Cross is supporting the six displaced occupants.

There were no working smoke alarms in the home. Damage is estimated at $75,000.

The Fire Department posted the following candle safety tips:
  • Do not place candles near combustible materials.
  • Place candles in glass or ceramic containers.
  • Place candles on a flat, sturdy surface.
  • Never leave children unattended in a room with an open-flame candle.
  • Do not place candles on window ledges or near entryways. The potential air draft can “fan” the flame, catching curtains or other materials on fire.
  • Keep burning candles within sight at all times—outdoors as well as inside your home.
  • Always extinguish candles before leaving home.
  • Place all candles on a protected, heat resistant, dry surface away from anything that can catch fire and out of the reach of children and pets.

No comments:

Post a Comment