main banner

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Gas stove mishap causes fire at the Wedgewood

A fire in a garden apartment at 7607 Allman Drive, Annandale, in the Wedgewood Apartments March 18 originated in the kitchen when someone accidently left the gas stove on, according to a news release from the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department.

When firefighters arrived, at approximately 5:15 p.m., they encountered heavy smoke coming from apartment 101.


The fire had extended to the second and third-floor apartments through a common pipe chase. The incident commander struck a second alarm, bringing some 60 firefighters to the scene.

About 10 occupants have been displaced and are being assisted by the Wedgewood management and the Red Cross. There were no injuries. Damage is estimated at $60,000.
The Wedgewood is an affordable housing complex owned by Fairfax County. The apartment where the fire took place is across the street from the Wedgewood Community Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment