main banner

Monday, April 14, 2014

Fire on Jayhawk Street was accidental

An accidental fire in a townhouse at 7407 Jayhawk St., Annandale, April 12, was caused by “an electrical anomaly in the basement,” the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department reported April 14.

When firefighters arrived at about 9:30 p.m., they encountered smoke coming from the vents in the rear of the middle, three-story townhouse. They brought the bulk of the fire in the basement under control, then spent approximately 45 minutes locating several pockets of fire within the walls.

No one was home when the fire broke out. Four adults and two children have been displaced, and they declined an offer of help from the Red Cross. Damage is estimated at $100,000.

12 comments:

  1. Such a mystery why 4 adults with 2 children would decline help upon being displaced.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. One guess: they could have other housing options or help from family/friends in the area, without requiring to live in a Red Cross provided shelter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was the "electrical anomaly" a 2nd full kitchen in a townhouse?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right, there are plenty of places in Mason District where the 4 adults with 2 children can move into a small house to join 5 adults with 3 children to create another "Penny Palace"
    and no one will question their legal status.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't they have moved to a second home they own? Doesn't have to be in Mason - could be all the way in Loudoun, for all we know. If the repairs were estimated to be completed within a few weeks, then anyone would rather pick a comfortable living option (if available), rather than a Red Cross shelter - which may not be the most convenient option. Bless the Red Cross, however.

      Everything does not have to be a murky scandal. Sometimes life is simple and straightforward. Let's keep Annandale that way.

      Delete
    2. But of course, since most groups of 4 adults and 2 children in a towhouse on Jayhawk own a second property in McLean and a summer home in Boca.

      Delete
  5. I suspect ONE reason we don't get more young professionals and recent college grads in Annandale is because they don't want to live with the kinds of people who are obsessed with illegal immigrants. Better to live in sketchy parts of DC than with the boring reactionaries out here. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more. More like 'bored' reactionaries, in this case.

      Can we all agree to keep our neighborhood civilized and respectable? A family with kids just got displaced, for heaven's sake. Let's all be relieved nobody got hurt.

      Delete
    2. Here here.

      Delete
    3. Not to emphasize your ignorance, but shouldn't the be spelled " hear, hear" ?

      Delete
  6. Where were the 4 adults and 2 children at 9:30 PM when the fire broke out. Aren't children in bed by then?

    ReplyDelete
  7. There seems to be a pattern of negative comments by one Anonymous user on this blog. Frankly, this is devolving from annoying to downright outrageous.

    Please note that libel on the Internet is a punishable crime, even for anonymous users, as demonstrated in Cooley v. Ballew (case link: http://www.sjl-law.com/lawyer-attorney-1721629.html).

    Anonymity is a privilege. Do not abuse it.

    ReplyDelete