The original name of the Lincolnia community was Lebanon. The original Methodist Congregation in Lebanon was chartered on May 11, 1864, reports a history of the church compiled by Mary Margaret Pence, church historian and descendant of a family that joined the church in 1885.
The community was named Lincolnia in 1875 to honor President Lincoln. An earlier church there, known as the Lebanon Church, was burned by federal troops retreating after the second battle of Bull Run.
Lincolnia Methodist Church was built on Lincolnia Road in 1876. The land had been donated by Levi Deming. In the early years, it was served by a circuit-riding minister who split his duties among several churches.
After outgrowing the old building, church members had the current building constructed on Little River Turnpike and Lincoln Avenue in 1965. A cabinet in the new building contains several items from the old church, including a log, glass communion set, and a Bible dated 1875.
The name was changed to Lincolnia United Methodist Church in 1968 after a merger of the Methodist Church and Evangelical United Brethren Church.
For more information about the 150th anniversary celebration, contact the church office, 703-354-5176, firstname.lastname@example.org.