|4759 Pomponio Place, Annandale. [Google Maps]|
When firefighters arrived at 7:45 a.m., they encountered smoke and fire coming from the front of the three-story, single-family house. One occupant was home when the fire broke out and escaped unharmed. Three occupants were displaced but declined Red Cross support. Damage is estimated at $25,000.
The Fire Department urges residents to follow these safety tips for electrical devices:
- Replace or repair loose or frayed cords.
- Avoid overloading outlets.
- If your power goes out often or the lights in your home flicker, produce an odor, or make
- noise, have an electrician inspect your wiring.
- The electrical outlet in the bathroom should have a ground fault circuit interrupter that guards against electrical shock when electrical devices and outlets get wet.
- All outlets and switches should be covered by face plates.
- Avoid the use of “cube taps” and other devices that allow the connection of multiple appliances into a single receptacle.
- Consider having additional circuits or outlets added by a qualified electrician so you do not have to use extension cords.
- Don’t tie or knot electrical cords.
- Don’t let furniture sit on electrical cords.