main banner

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

House fire caused by propane grill

A fire at 4233 Guinea Road, Annandale, Aug. 24 was caused by a propane grill too close to the house, the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department reports.

Firefighters arrived at about 6:25 p.m., encountering heavy smoke and fire coming from the attic and rear of the two-story house. It took them 20 minutes to get the fire under control. The fire was reported by a neighbor after seeing flames consuming the rear deck.

One occupant was at home when the fire broke out and escaped unharmed. Red Cross is providing support to the occupant. Damage is estimated at $70,000.

The fire department urges residents to follow these safety tips when grilling:
  • Grills should be placed at least 15 feet from any home, building, or combustibles to ensure adequate air circulation.
  • Charcoal must be kept dry. Spare propane bottles should be stored outside away from the home. A backyard shed is a good place.
  • Keep children and pets away from the grill. Grills continue to give off heat long after cooking has stopped.
  • Never place hot ashes in paper or plastic bags or containers; use metal containers.
  • Use Underwriters Laboratories-approved electrical starters rather than lighter fluid.
  • It’s unsafe and illegal to use a grill on an apartment balcony.

No comments:

Post a Comment