main banner

Monday, November 21, 2016

Two dogs perish in Seven Corners fire

More than 40 firefighters responded to a house fire on Villa Lane.
Two dogs perished in a fire Nov. 20 at a house in the 6300 block of Villa Lane in Seven Corners, the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department reports.

Four occupants who had been home and three of their five dogs were safely outside when fire units from Fairfax County and Arlington County arrived at approximately 5:30 a.m. Two of the occupants were transported to an area hospital with non-life threatening injuries. Red Cross is assisting the displaced occupants.

One occupant had woken up to the odor of smoke in the two-story, single-family home and alerted the other occupants. There were multiple battery-operated smoke alarms that didn’t have batteries.

An investigation revealed the fire was accidental, originated in the home’s library, and was caused by smoking materials igniting nearby combustibles. Damages are estimated at $173,750.

3 comments:

  1. Terrible, hope they find the dogs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just coming off all the Fire events in October, a few $5 batteries in the alarms could have detected this earlier. Check your smoke alarms people! If you have gas appliances or a fireplace get a CO detector as well. Need help? Local fire dept can answer your questions.
    Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad, but frustrating, too.

    In addition to maintaining fresh batteries in all your smoke detectors, you can get small fire extinguishers to keep on hand...an ounce of prevention...

    ReplyDelete