main banner

Monday, February 27, 2017

Child causes house fire in Annandale

A 6-year-old child playing with matches caused a house fire in Annandale Feb. 26 resulting in damages estimated at $250,000. No one was hurt, but five people were displaced, the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department reports.

When fire units arrived at about 9:45 a.m., they observed fire showing from a bedroom window in the one-story, single-family home at 7700 Rowan Court, which is close to Annandale High School. 

The fire was quickly extinguished. Occupants of the home were alerted to the fire by their son and safely evacuated the home. The smoke alarms did not activate. 

Fire investigators determined the fire originated from a mattress in the child’s bedroom.

The fire department hosts an educational intervention program for juvenile fire-setters administered by nationally certified personnel. Referrals are received from court officials, school counselors, law enforcement officials, mental health practitioners, fire investigators, firefighters, parents/guardians, and adult relatives. For more information or to schedule a program, call 703-246-3801.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad no one was hurt--they were lucky, considering the smoke detectors weren't working/didn't go off.

    ReplyDelete