|A National Night Out cookout in Camelot in 2015.|
It’s one of many community events scheduled across the country hosted by civic associations and HOAs on National Night Out. These events are aimed at encouraging neighbors to get to know one another and promote community-police partnerships with the goal of making neighborhoods safer, more caring places.
The event hosted by the homeless shelter’s advisory council is 6-8 p.m., at Spring Lane Park, 3337 Spring Lane, Bailey’s Crossroads. There will be a barbecue; music; games, like horseshoes and cornhole; and visits by police officers, firefighters, and shelter and county staff.
The event is part of the newly revived advisory council’s efforts to reach out to the community. “Everyone is invited. It’s a chance to learn more about the shelter and our partnership with local first responders,” says Whitney Richardson, director of communications at Northern Virginia Family Service, the organization that operates the shelter for Fairfax County.
Dozens of National Night Out activities are planned in the Annandale/Mason District on Aug. 1. Local police and firefighters will be at many of them, introducing themselves to the community and giving children a chance to explore their vehicles.
The following preliminary list of National Night Out events was compiled by the Mason Police District. Most start between 6 and 7.
• Adams Walk Homeowners Association – cookout, Championship Court, Annandale, 6 p.m.
• Annandale Shopping Center – hot dogs, cotton candy, face painting, balloon artist, glitter tattoos, magician, games, music, and raffles; parking lot next to Quiznos, 6 p.m.
• Belair Civic Association – ice cream social; Bel Air Park, Falls Church, 6:30 p.m.
• Broyhill Park Civic Association – cookout; Woodley Pool, Falls Church, 7 p.m.
• Court of Camelot – potluck dinner; outside at Excalibur Court, Annandale, 6 p.m.
• Englandboro – ice cream social; driveway at 4032 Oxford St., Annandale, 6 p.m.
• Glen Forest Community Association – ice cream and cookie social; cul de sac at 3236 Magnolia Ave., Bailey’s Crossroads, 6:30 p.m.
• Lafayette Village Community Association – neighborhood party; Trammell Park, Lafayette Village Drive at Trammell Court; 7 p.m.
• Lake Barcroft Association – potluck, kids’ activities, bounce house, community recognition; Beach 5 on Waterway Drive, Falls Church.
• Lakeside Plaza Condominium 3800 Powell Lane, Falls Church, 6:30 p.m.
• Lee Boulevard Heights – neighborhood bike ride followed by ice cream social; Lee Boulevard Heights neighborhood, Seven Corners, 6 p.m.
• Mantua-Copeland – potluck dinner; outside 8754 Copeland Pond Court, Fairfax, 6 p.m.
• Mantua-Ridgelea Hills – cookout, neighborhood social; the front yard at 3715 Ridgelea Drive, Fairfax.
• Parliaments – movie night; grassy area at Whitney Street and Eastmoreland Road, Annandale, 7:30 p.m.
• Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church – music games, water balloons, hot dogs; 6362 Lincolnia Road, Lincolnia, 6 p.m.
• Pinecrest Heights – international dinner and cookout; Pinecrest Heights pool, Annandale, 6:30 p.m.
• The Pinecrest – cookout; the gazebo by the tennis courts on Pinecest Vista Drive, Annandale, 6 p.m.
• Pineridge Civic Association – south cul de sac at Wynford Drive, 5 p.m.
• Rosedale Manor – cookout; garden area behind 3425 Spring Lane, Bailey’s Crossroads, 7:30 p.m.
• Sleepy Hollow Citizens Association – ice cream social; Twin Oak Place, 3020 Beechwood Lane, Falls Church, 6 p.m.
• Sleepy Hollow Woods – cookies, watermelon, lemonade; corner of Moss Drive and Rosewood Street, Annandale, 7:30 p.m.
• St. Andrew’s Square, Glen Eagles townhouses – block party potluck; southeast end of Glen Eagles Court. Seven Corners, 6 p.m.
• Sunset Manor Civic Association and Dowden Terrace – neighborhood walk-about, lights-on campaign, cookout; Dowden Terrace Park, Bouffant Boulevard, Scoville Street, and Paul Street, Bailey’s Crossroads, 6 p.m.