main banner

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Dominion expects full restoration of power by Saturday

As of about 3 p.m., Dominion Power has restored electricity to 85 percent of customers and hopes to reach 100 percent by Saturday, state Sen. Dave Marsden reports. “The remaining 15 percent will be difficult to complete quickly due to fallen trees and poles.”

Among the areas still without power is a section of Annandale Road in Annandale. For more information, see Dominion’s outage map.

To provide some respite from the heat, Fairfax County is opening all its RECenters (except George Washington) on July 4 with extended hours—until 6 p.m.—to give residents without power a chance to take a shower and charge their devices.

You can also enjoy the air conditioning at the Braddock District Office, which will be open tomorrow, 11 a.m.-4 p.m., Supervisor John Cook announced.

Heavily wooded areas like Barcroft will be the most difficult for Dominion to restore service because so many roadways are blocked, reports Del. Kaye Kory.

Kory is asking residents of her district to report persistent/recurring problems to her via personal email to

She plans to hold a town meeting in a few weeks where Dominion representatives will present “lessons learned” from the storm and residents can give honest feedback. This weekend’s storm left five times as many people without power as Hurricane Irene, which affected over 100,000 people in August 2011.  

“I know that power restoration seems to be going too slowly at times, but keep in mind that this was a particularly catastrophic storm where we did not have the warning time we do in hurricane-like scenarios,” Marsden says. “The derecho that hit Friday, as well as the tornadoes on Saturday and Sunday, left well over a million Virginia residents without power, and left our utility companies scrambling to bring in out-of-state workers to aid in the cleanup.”

 “This storm also exposed major weaknesses in our emergency response services that will have to be examined to ensure that our 911 system never fails like it did this past weekend,” he added.

1 comment:

  1. principle lesson learned

    Global warming is real, and costly. We need to begin taking action to stop it - as a county, a Commonwealth, and a nation.