main banner

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Public urged to take part in 'Invest in Fairfax Rally' at BoS budget hearing

The Alliance for Fairfax Public Schools and advocates for for public libraries, affordable housing, and other services are urging people to come to an “Invest in Fairfax Rally” at the Fairfax County Government Center April 9, any time between 4:30 and 7 p.m., before a Board of Supervisors hearing on the county budget for FY 2015.

A key issue for the board is how much county funding to transfer to Fairfax County Public Schools. The rally, will be outside the BoS hearing room, 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax.

The Alliance for Fairfax Public Schools is made up of the Fairfax Education Association, Fairfax County Federation of Teachers, Fairfax County Council of PTAs, Associated School Librarians of Fairfax County, and the Association of Fairfax Professional Educators.

FCPS is facing the prospect of having to make severe budget cuts unless the BoS provides more funding than the amount in the advertised budget endorsed by the BoS. The advertised budget would increase the transfer amount to FCPS by just 2 percent, while the school board called for a 5.7 percent increase. The additional funds are need to accommodate soaring enrollment increases and mandated, uncontrollable costs.

Advocates for Fairfax County Public Libraries will be wearing purple and are meeting at 4 p.m. in Room 7 of the Fairfax County Government Center. Representatives of the Fairfax County Government Employees Union (SEIU), Fairfax County Public Library Employees Association, and friends groups at various FCPL branches plan to be there to urge the BoS to support an increased investment in the library system.

Funding for libraries has been slashed in recent years, and Fairfax County support for its library system is the lowest among nearby jurisdictions and is below the state average.

Advocates for parks, affordable housing, mental health services, public safety, and child care for working families are also pushing the BoS to invest in those areas. One solution that seems to be gaining support among some members of the public is increasing the property tax rate.


  1. It is wonderful to see the school, libraies, parks, social services, public safety and all the necessary County serices rallying together for more apprpriate funding. County leadership seeks to divide us and pit one agency against the other. We will not fall for that !

  2. I am surprised to read that raising property taxes is seen as a 'solution' by some. Unwilling already see an increase in my property taxes because my assessment has increased. I don't need mire.

  3. More than 50 % of the county budget goes to services (i.e. FCPS ) that affect, tops, 37 percent of the families in the county. Meanwhile, parks and libraries and other county programs that serve ALL residents have have been continually cut as the schools have been increased. Where is the equity for the other 63 percent of taxpayers?