main banner

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Mobile DMV unit coming to Northern Virginia this month

The Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles’ mobile customer service center, called DMV 2 Go, will be in Northern Virginia this month, providing a convenient way to get and renew a driver’s license and take care of other DMV and other state government business.

People without a driver’s license will be able to get a photo ID card at a DMV 2 Go unit, which is important because you’ll need a photo ID to vote in the Nov. 4 election.

Here is the DMV 2 Go schedule for locations closest to the Annandale area:
  • Aug. 6—2011 Clarendon Blvd., Arlington (15th St. N. and N. Courthouse Road), 8:30-4 p.m.
  • Aug. 8—300 Park Ave., Falls Church, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
  • Aug. 11—301 King St., Alexandria, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
  • Aug. 14—Fairfax County Courthouse, 4100 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
  • Aug. 22—Fairfax County Government Center, 1200 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
  • Aug. 29—George Mason University, Fairfax Campus, University Hall parking lot, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
A new Virginia law requires voters to have a valid Virginia driver’s license or ID card, DMV-issued veteran’s ID card, valid U.S. passport, other U.S. or Virginia government ID card, valid student photo ID from a Virginia institution of higher education, employer-issued photo ID card, or Virginia voter photo ID card issued by a local general registrar’s office.

A voter who doesn’t bring an acceptable photo ID to the polls can vote on a provisional ballot and will need  to bring an acceptable photo ID to the electoral board by noon on the Friday following the election in order for the vote to be counted.

DMV 2 Go mobile units will provide such services as getting and renewing a driver’s license; reinstating driving privileges, getting a copy of your driving record; copies of a birth certificate; vehicle titles, license plates, decals, and transcripts; disabled parking placards and plates; E-ZPass transponders; applying for a veteran’s ID card; hunting and fishing licenses, and updating your voter registration address.

No comments:

Post a Comment