main banner

Friday, May 29, 2015

Annandale fire caused by electric candle

4759 Pomponio Place, Annandale. [Google Maps]
A fire at 4759 Pomponio Place in the Ravensworth-Bristow neighborhood in Annandale May 28 was caused by an electric candle in the first-floor living, the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department reports.

When firefighters arrived at 7:45 a.m., they encountered smoke and fire coming from the front of the three-story, single-family house. One occupant was home when the fire broke out and escaped unharmed. Three occupants were displaced but declined Red Cross support. Damage is estimated at $25,000.

The Fire Department urges residents to follow these safety tips for electrical devices:
  • Replace or repair loose or frayed cords.
  • Avoid overloading outlets.
  • If your power goes out often or the lights in your home flicker, produce an odor, or make
  • noise, have an electrician inspect your wiring.
  • The electrical outlet in the bathroom should have a ground fault circuit interrupter that guards against electrical shock when electrical devices and outlets get wet.
  • All outlets and switches should be covered by face plates.
  • Avoid the use of “cube taps” and other devices that allow the connection of multiple appliances into a single receptacle.
  • Consider having additional circuits or outlets added by a qualified electrician so you do not have to use extension cords.
  • Don’t tie or knot electrical cords.
  • Don’t let furniture sit on electrical cords.

No comments:

Post a Comment