|The new buildings are going up on the site of a former parking lot, on the right.|
Construction has started on the final two buildings on the site, which will eventually house 50,000 square feet of retail, restaurants, and 222 residential units.
|The future site of Bluemercury on District Avenue.|
That shopping center, anchored by the Unique thrift shop and Great Wall grocery store, is slated to be redeveloped as Merrifield II and will be connected to the Mosaic District via a new road from District Avenue to Gallows Road.
|District Avenue, with Iron Chef House on the right.|
The farmers market on District Avenue won’t be affected by the construction, according to a statement from the Mosaic District. It will open for the season on May 1. There will be less parking available, however.
New retailers coming to Mosaic include:
- A Bluemercury cosmetics shop with a spa. The Bluemercury chain, founded in Washington, D.C., has more than 70 stores across the United States.
- Undeniable Boutique, a shop carrying unique women’s clothing and accessories. This will be the second Undeniable Boutique location; the first opened in 2011 in Fairfax Corner.
- Scout & Molly’s, another women’s boutique, with 16 locations, mostly on the East Coast.
- Elevate Fitness, a gym with daily scripted workouts, training stations, and high-intensity interval training. This will be the second Elevate Fitness location following the original site at 2428 14th St., in D.C.
|The Requin pop-up restaurant.|
New restaurants expected to open Mosaic include:
- Choolah, an Indian barbecue restaurant from Ohio planning to open more locations.
- Jinya Ramen Bar, a restaurant chain founded in Tokyo with several locations in the United States.
- District Dumpling, an offshoot of New York’s Dumpling Go chain.
- Nando’s Peri Peri, a fast casual chain from South Africa featuring flame-grilled chicken.