When fire units from Fairfax and Arlington counties arrived at approximately 6 p.m., they found smoke showing from the roof line of a two-story, single-family house.
The fire started in an electrical panel box in a basement bedroom and spread to the first and second floors through empty spaces inside the walls.
The fire on the first and second floors was quickly extinguished. The fire in the basement was confined until the power company was able to remove the meter and de-energize the electrical system. At that point, firefighters safely extinguished the remaining fire. There were no civilian or firefighter injuries.
Four adults and one child were home at the time of the fire. The occupants discovered the fire after they smelled smoke and left the house. There was one smoke alarm in the house.