main banner

Monday, August 7, 2017

Kitchen fire damages house in Lincolnia area

Fairfax County firefighters respond to a fire in Parklawn. [FCFRD]
Combustible materials left on a stove caused a fire in a single-family home in the 3900 block of Fairfax Parkway in the Parklawn community on Aug. 4, the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department reports.

Firefighters found smoke showing from the front of the one-story house when they arrived at about 8:14 a.m. The fire was in the kitchen and was quickly extinguished.

An occupant of the home discovered the fire after being awakened by the smell of smoke. One smoke alarm was located in the basement but it did not have a battery. All residents were evacuated before the fire department arrived. An adult, who suffered a minor injury after leaving the house, was treated on the scene. There were no other injuries.

The day before the fire, the stovetop had been in use when the house lost electricity due to a storm. The occupants failed to turn off the burner when they went to bed. Electricity was restored during the night, and the burner began heating the combustible materials, causing the fire.

Two adults and two children who were displaced accepted assistance from the Red Cross. Damages were estimated at approximately $62,500.

1 comment: