The incident happened at about 8:20 p.m. on Commons Drive, Annandale, when a police officer heard a car revving its engine nearby. When the officer went to investigate, he saw the car drive away at a high rate of speed.
After a short pursuit, the driver of the car lost control and crashed. Neither Amaya-Amaya nor his 17-year-old passenger were injured.
Lest you think crime only happens in the Mason Police District,* the FCPD reports these crimes in its weekend recap:
- A man stole prescription drugs and assaulted an employee at a Walgreens in the Sully Police District.
- There was a stolen vehicle and burglary in the Mount Vernon Police District.
- In the McLean Police District, there was a burglary and a sex offence, in which a man gave a victim a ride then pulled over and began touching himself inappropriately.
- Crimes in the Reston Police District included indecent exposure, unlawful entry, and abduction/robbery.
- There was a burglary (in central Springfield) and guns fired into two occupied dwellings (near Richmond Highway) in the Franconia Police District.
- In the West Springfield Police District, four women assaulted an employee and stole items from a store (on Old Keene Mill Road).
- There was a speed to elude/reckless driving/DWI incident in the Fair Oaks Police District.
*The Mason Police District covers much of the Mason supervisory district but they are not the same. Parts of the West Springfield and Franconia police districts are in Annandale, but none of the crimes listed above in those districts are in Annandale.