main banner

Friday, July 5, 2019

Annandale house fire caused by improperly disposed of used fireworks



Improperly disposed of used fireworks caused a house fire in the 4100 block of Watkins Trail in Annandale at about 1 a.m. on July 5, the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department reports.

The fire started in the carport area of the two-story single-family house between Columbia Pike and Old Columbia Pike.

No one was injured. Four of the five occupants were home when the fire was discovered by a neighbor walking a dog. She notified the occupants who got out before the fire department arrived. Smoke alarms were present but did not sound due to the location of the fire.

Damages as a result of the fire were approximately $381,350. The five occupants accepted assistance from the Red Cross.

The fire department urges residents to treat the disposal of used fireworks the same as fireplace ashes: Put them in a metal container, douse them with water, cover the container with a metal lid, and place the container away from the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment