|Pieces of the new bridge are being built at the Willston Center.|
To reduce traffic disruption, the new bridge is being built in three separate pieces by Martins Construction in the Willston Center parking lot.
There will be detours from 10 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 2, until 5 a.m. on Monday, Aug. 5, as crews demolish and remove the existing bridge and install the new composite bridge segments.
If the weather doesn’t cooperate on Aug. 2-5, the work could be delayed until the weekends of Aug. 9-12 or Aug. 16-19.
The project also includes:
- Reconstructing the existing sidewalk leading to the bridge;
- New sidewalks along the opposite sides of the bridge;
- Upgrading the bridge railings and pedestrian fence;
- Improving the curb and gutter on the southeastern approach to the bridge; and
- New concrete approach walls on all corners of the bridge.
There will be single-lane closures on Arlington Boulevard (Route 50) and Wilson Boulevard as the construction of sidewalks and bridge railings are completed.
During one night in late November or early December, there will be a detour as crews apply a waterproofing membrane and asphalt overlay on the bridge deck.
Built in 1958, the bridge is in deteriorating condition with broken concrete, cracks, and inadequate railings.
Funding for the $3.8 million project is from VDOT’s State of Good Repair program. The project is expected to be completed in late 2019 or early 2020.