Due to the need to maintain safety during the COVID-19 pandemic, Fairfax County fire stations are not inviting the community to open house events this fall.
Instead, the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department is hosting interactive, virtual events every day during Fire Prevention Week, Oct. 5-10. This year’s theme is “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!”
A virtual open house highlighting the week’s activities will happen throughout the day on Saturday, Oct. 10, on FCFRD social media and digital platforms.
Register for Virtual Fire Prevention Week here. Registrants will be sent a packet containing safety materials and special items including an FCFRD-branded kitchen timer and oven mitt. You do not need to register, but only those who register will be eligible for daily prizes and other perks.
Here’s the event schedule for the week:
- Monday, Oct. 5 – Survey your home for fire safety.
- Tuesday, Oct. 6 – Storytime with fire safety hero Flash Max, complete the Great Escape Challenge, and earn a prize.
- Wednesday, Oct. 7 – Meet the FCFRD puppets, become the fire marshal of your home, and earn a safety badge.
- Thursday, Oct. 8 – Watch a demonstration, Cooking with Firefighters, and get a delicious recipe.
- Friday, Oct. 9 – Tag along with Sparky the Fire Dog and learn about the day-to-day activities at a busy fire station.
- Saturday, Oct. 10 – Family Fun Q&A with Sparky and the firefighters and much more.