main banner


Got something to complain about? Heres a guide on how to get help.

Code violations

Contact the Fairfax County Department of Code Compliance, 703-324-1300, to report code violations regarding such problems as dilapidated structures, overcrowding, unsafe or unsanitary living conditions, abandoned or blighted properties, illegal construction, hoarding, cars parked on yards, uncut grass, illegal home businesses, noise, or sewage backups.

Submit complaints online with the Fairfax County Department of Public Works and Environmental Services FIDO (Fairfax Inspections Databse Online) website.

Health issues

Contact the Fairfax County Health Department’s Division of Environmental Health, 703-246-2300, to report problems like mosquito or rat infestations, overflowing garbage, or unsanitary conditions at restaurants or submit a complaint online.


To report a pothole or other road problem, submit a complaint form on the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (VDOT) website or call 800-367-7623 (800-FOR-ROAD).

Report a problem with a street name sign to the Fairfax County Department of Public Works and Environmental Services, 703-877-2800.


Contact VDOT for snow removal on public roads, 800-367-7623 (800-FOR-ROAD).

Visit the Northern Virginia snow tracking section of the VDOT website for the status of snow plowing.


Access an online form on the Dominion Power website to report a power outage or call 866-366-4357.

Fill out a form on the Dominion Power website to report a streetlight outage on a public street or call 866-DOM-HELP (866-366-4357).


Report a water main break to Fairfax Water, 703-698-5613.

Fill out an online form to report complaints about storm drain flooding to the Maintenance and Stormwater Management Division at the Fairfax County Department of Public Works and Environmental Services, 703-877-2800.

Contact the Wastewater Collections Division for sewer backups in a home, 703-323-1211.


To file a complaint about the misconduct of a police officer, fill out an online form or call the Fairfax County Police Department’s (FCPD) Bureau of Internal Affairs, 703-246-2918.


Use the Citizen Reporting System to report non-emergency crimes to the FCPD. If its an emergency, call 911.

Theres a separate online reporting system for financial crimes, such as embezzlement, check fraud, and identity theft.


Report inoperative vehicles on private property to the Fairfax County Police Department via email,, or call the Traffic Division Impound Section, 703-280-0716.

To request parking enforcement, call the police non-emergency number, 703-691-2131, or send an email to

Contact the traffic enforcement officer at the Mason Police Station,, to request traffic enforcement.


To report problems with animal cruelty, barking dogs, pets on the loose, an animal bite, a sick or injured wild animal, or a wild animal in your home, call the police non-emergency number, 703-691-2131, or Animal Control Services, 703-691-3255.

To report a lost or found pet, call the Animal Shelter,703-830-1100.

Call VDOT to report dead animals in the state right-of-way, 703-830-1100, x 2.

For assistance with wildlife nuisance issues, call the Virginia Wildlife Conflict Helpline, 855-571-9003.


The Fairfax County Department of Cable and Consumer Services handles complaints about tenant-landlord relations, cable, and other consumer issues


  1. How about a phone number for removal of dead trees on Va DOT right-of-way?

  2. Natalie Forowa3/17/14, 3:51 PM

    Idling commercial vehicles pump our air with toxic cancer -causing diesel fumes: There are State and County laws prohibiting keeping a truck idling for more than 3 minutes, yet most parking lots with fast food joints are full of truck operators who feel comfortable having their breakfast and lunches in the comfort of a heated/airconditioned cab, often lasting 30 minutes or more, while all of us have to inhale the cancer-causing fumes. The Virginia code is Article 41, 9 VAC5-40-5670;
    The Fairfax County law is in Section 103-3-10. Both state that prolongued idling should be subject to fines.
    With such laws already in the books, why is the police not enforcing them? Are they waiting till someone they love gets a respiratory disease, or for this infraction be combined with sex/drugs, to go ahead and do their job?

    1. Best thing you have to complain about Natalie?

    2. I agree Natalie. Laws need to be enforced. I often wonder why the police also do not enforce the noise ordinances. Annandale used to be such a nice quiet peaceful place where you could be outside and enjoy your porch and/or yard; now the neighborhood is bombarded by music from car stereos, park rentals, and homes that goes on all day long and can still be heard indoors wearing earplugs.

  3. Natalie,
    A very intelligent and well informed comment.
    Thank you for bringing up this important matter that affects the quality of the air we all breathe.
    I don't hesitate to speak to the driver and to remind them. Usually they cooperate and are apologetic.
    But one shouldn't have to keep reminding people. It's common sense!!!

  4. Conservatives who want less government but support home owners associations to dicktate to them house gardening. hahahah

  5. There are a lot more serious things to complain about. Who has the time to enforce this one?

  6. It would be nice to see more enforcement of the laws already on the books but it seems like most are ignored for one reason or another.

  7. Why is the noise ordinance allow 6am garbage removal. I live in a large condo complex and, unfortunately, right by the dumpster, which is emptied daily. I am grateful for that, but 6am is ridiculous. Why not make it at least 7am. I have tried every contraption known to man to block out the noise. Who can help me with this...sleep deprived😔

  8. Please change the noise ordinance to 7am from 6am..cannot handle everyday being woken up by reverse beeping of garbage truck dumpsters..have tried every device known to man to block out sound..seriously sleep deprived..thank you.